tiistai 12. heinäkuuta 2016

Arabian treasures in Oman and the United Arab Emirates

Dubai is very a modern city build in the desert by the see. I had a chance to observe this city, Abu Dhabi and the cost of Oman first from the deck of the cruise boat. I was fascinated by the architecture of skyscrapers but the traffic was all the time a big jam. I am not fond of shopping and consuming, so what could I do in this city as a woman if I lived here? There are so many shopping centers. I liked the city museum that told about the fishing village that Dubai was quite recently. The city has a minority of native people and the majority, 75-80%, are foreigners. From abroad there are experts and well-payed professionals but as well workers at hotels, restaurants and building sites. It was a view to see construction workers in their helmets like ants in scaffoldings.



In Dubai I also visited the mosque and enjoyed hot chocolate made of camel milk, in the cafe nearby. That was a nice break. I was also given the Koran in English by the waitress. That was my souvenir from this city and I can use it as a source in my studies and work. After that I went to wonder the palm island. It has been a big project and it is still going on.



Oman was quite different from the United Arab Emirates. I visited only two costal towns, Khasab and Muscat. On my history lectures and during my course about Christianity and Islam, I had read about Portuguese fortresses on the cost and I was very keen to see them. There were many of them but they were quite small. Their architecture had inspired the Arabs to build their fortresses later on.



The climate is harsh and the scenery is mountainous, rocky and without vegetation. In Muscat I admired especially the beautiful mosque. Our local guide was friendly and told a lot about their habits and traditions.



In Abu Dhabi I also visited the famous mosque but I was not that taken. It was like multiplied Taj Mahal. It had some very precious chandeliers. The carpet was wonderful.



My visit was not just cities and the sea. I bought a touristical excursion in the desert where we had land rovers driving on the dunes. I saw the sun set and after that had a short camel drive, henna tattoo, water pipe, traditional dance show and dinner. This was a great fun!






Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti